You may probably be aware that Rodan and Fields is a Multi-level-Marketing program and they don’t try to hide this, but the questions is… is it a pyramid scheme?
You might also want to know what exactly is Rodan and Fields about and can you really make money from this business? Is Rodan and Fields Legit or is it a scam?
I assume these questions are all on your mind and this is why you have come across this article, so read on to find out all your answers.
Product Name: Rodan & Fields
Website url: www.rodanandfields.com
Cost: £45 initial starter cost
My Rating: 2 out of 5
My Recommendation: Rodan and Fields is not technically a Pyramid Scheme, but I wouldn’t recommend it as a way to make money online. If you want a solid business model which will allow you to earn a full time income, check out my top recommendation.
What is Rodan and Fields all about?
In short Rodan and Fields is a Multi-Level Marketing program which allows you to sell a range of skincare products from home, and essentially have your own business.
So what does this mean?
That you can make money in two ways (and you will need to do both)
- By Selling the Rodan and Fields skincare products
- By recruiting people into your team in order for them to sell the products too. You make a commission off their joining packages plus the sales that they make. This is the MLM part,
Is Rodan & Fields a Pyramid Scheme?
A lot of people would jump on the word ‘MLM’ and immediately call every MLM a pyramid scheme.
This is not the case and although I don’t like MLM as a business model, immediately calling any MLM business a pyramid is both naive and unfair. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not promoting this business, but I think it’s important to be fair in any review that I do, so that I can help people see the wood for the trees.
By definition, a pyramid scheme is all about recruiting people into a business or into your downline but the difference with a pyramid scheme over and MLM is that there is either NO product to sell or the product is so poor that you couldn’t make money if you were JUST selling products.
MLM’s are constantly being investigated for this very reason as they can be dangerously close to pyramid schemes.
The reason for this is that sometimes with MLM’s the products are overrated, overpriced and overhyped and the quality is low. This is when you can get into trouble. If you choose a business where the product is weak, you then end up making money for those at the top and nothing for yourself. You can’t sell the product because the price is so high to allow for everyone to make money on it.
So the question is is Rodan and Fields one of these?
To my mind, Rodan and Fields is NOT a pyramid scheme, because the products stand up on their own. But I wouldn’t recommend it. (see my verdict at the bottom of the article)
Should YOU choose Rodan and Fields?
To me it comes down to two things as to whether you should chose a business to build into your own.
- Do you like the products?
- Can you actually make money?
Lets take a look:
1. The products
The company was started by two certified dermatologists called Katie Rodan and Kathy Fields. The are known for creating an anti acne treatment called Proactiv. Maybe you’ve heard of it?
So a decent background with knowledge in their fields. What about the other products?
Since then the product range has grown and now you will find a more diverse range of products from anti ageing to general beauty whilst still including the anti-acne range. A nice collection and targeted, not too broad.
But be wary, I have seen a lot of complaints online about the quality of the Rodan and Fields products. Sadly this is asymptomatic of MLM businesses. In order for the various people within any given downline to make money off the business the price needs to become over-inflated to allow everyone to get paid. This is not reflected in the quality of the product.. So naturally people are disappointed
2. Can you actually make money?
This question can be addressed by looking at HOW you actually make money. Rodan and Fields outline that there are 4 basic ways you can make money:
- Selling products: Theoretically you can make money by just selling the products (this is what ensures this is NOT a pyramid scheme). BUT, you won’t make big money, you may make a little pocket money, but you will need to work quite hard for this. Think about it. Driving sales is hard in a VERY competitive industry with a brand that really no-one knows about. Not to mention with overpriced products
- Recruiting people into your team: Secondly, and in order to have any chance of making money with Rodan and Fields you would need to recruit people into your downline. When you do you make a commission on their sales as well as on their joining fee, IF they purchase a higher price package. But let me tell you, recruiting people into an MLM is VERY VERY difficult.
- Organisation commissions: Profit share, for want of a better word, of sales of then entire organisation, and of your team. I won’t go into this in detail.
- Various bonuses: When you reach certain goals you will be rewarded
Now, does this sound like something that appeals to you?
Check out this video if you want to know more detail about the payment plans
What does it cost and how do you get started?
If you want to become a consultant you need to buy your starter pack at $45. This will give you some base products and a few marketing materials.
But this won’t be enough to get you going. So you will need to upgrade to the next ‘pack’.
Hold your breath. You are looking at packs from around $395, $695 and $995. Now that’s a lot in my book!
Firstly, it’s important to point that Rodan and FIelds is NOT a pyramid scheme and is a legitimate business model. Rodan and Fields is NOT a scam….
But if I haven’t made it clear enough by now I would definitely not recommend it… and here’s why:
- Something important to note is that you can buy Rodan and Fields products on Amazon or directly from the Rodan and Fields site, so why would you pay a premium and go through a consultant? This is going to make the sell even harder.
- The reviews for the products and customer service aren’t great, again, a very hard sell.
- The products aren’t FDA listed and there is no PROOF that they work and do what it says on the tin
- The support and training for the consultant appears to be under question
- The price for joining packages is extortionate. How will you know what to buy, how can you foresee what your customers will be buying? Will you be wasting money on stock that just sits there?
- As you won’t be at the top of this MLM matrix, you are unlikely to ever make a fortune in this business. It will be a hard slog to make a little money.
My biggest concern with MLM is the business model. I don’t like the idea of recruiting friends and family to join your opportunity. It’s so awkward, and to be that kind of pushy sales person relentlessly with your friends and family is just awful. I certainly couldn’t do it, and I don’t know many people who are actually comfortable doing it. Think about whether you could do this day in day out. When you go swimming are you ready to recruit the receptionist etc.. gah! just gives me the shivers!
So what now?
So if MLM doesn’t suit you and you want a business where customers are actively searching for your business rather than you having to push your products onto them, then I would suggest affiliate marketing as a way to build a business. Even you are in to selling skincare products with affiliate marketing you can pick and choose the products you want to sell so you make sure you recommend the best..
In fact, with affiliate marketing, you can sell anything you like. You don’t need to own any product or worry about stocks, and you can get started for free. A no brainer compared to MLM in my book! You can take a look at my top rated affiliate marketing training program right here